Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cemetery Loop to Meriden, MN

 I decided to ride later on Saturday waiting for the sun to emerge and the temps to warm in to the low 60's around 5PM.   A light, 7mph, north wind encouraged a route I had not taken before, riding north, northeast.  Must be an area of the county that supported more dairy farms, because I rode by more dairy operations than any other direction I have traveled. 

Out and around Clear Lake and onto the Snake Trail for about 8 miles while rounding Watkins Lake and Moonan Marsh Wildlife Area.   Then getting off the Waseca 1/3 Ironman course, I went east and south to Meriden.  So many cemeteries, I thought I would call it the Cemetery Loop.  I added a shot of the smallest one so you can see the uniqueness of these little midwest cemeteries.  It can't be more than 1 acre in size, and right at the corner of an intersection, no other buildings nearby. 

Just outside side of Meriden, I encounter a farm with 2 big young (did I say dumb) St. Bernard dogs.  They must have seen me coming, because they decided to stand in the middle of the road until I told them "NO".  That didn't work, but they cleared to the side of the road, giving me enough room to bluff them and speed by.   Then they gave chase.  Normally, I wouldn't even slow down for a dog, but with 2 dogs, you can't keep track of both their movements. Got a bit scary.  Gonna need to watch for these guys, next time.

So far, I have not seen any other bikers outside of the town of Waseca this Spring.  So either I am riding in the wrong areas, or at the wrong time to encounter some riding buddies out on these country roads.  That's ok, riding alone makes we challenge the winds and will give me early season strength. 



Live Life to the PLUS+

No comments:

Post a Comment