Friday, March 23, 2012

Drafting on a Farmall M Tractor

 At noon today, the weather cleared a bit and the temps got up to the low 60's.  When the wind is blowing out of the north in the spring and summer, it's time to take a bike ride.  Going north to start the ride is always a treat, because most of the time the southern MN, WI winds are blowing out of the south.   Add to that, only a 5 mph wind, which is basically no wind, and yahoo!

I decided to ride part of the Waseca 1/3 Ironman Triathlon course toward Elysian and the lakes in that area.  The farmers were just getting started injecting anhydrous ammonia into the fields before these last few days of beautiful spring rains.   So everyone was sitting idle, waiting for the fields to dry again.

As I rounded the corner to start heading east for a bit, I could see a tractor ahead of me driving down the road.  So I decided to see if I could catch it, and do alittle farm equipment drafting.  Took me a mile or so, but I caught the old tractor and pulled right up behind with my front tire a few feet away from the PTO (not turning).  The farmer did not know I was there, and we rumbled along for a few miles at a very nice pace_______ mph.  I am leaving speed blank to see if anyone can estimate or guess what pace we were traveling at.  Now remember, this is a Farmall M, probably new in the 1950's.  Traveling in road gear, not wide open. 

Yes drafting is possible, and I was able to reduce my pedaling intensity and just hang with the farmer.  Some of the neighboring farmers waved and watched us go by.  I'm sure the got a kick out of it.

The farmer decided to turn off on a gravel road, and just as he was making the turn and I was going by him on the right, he turn around saw me, and gave me a startled laugh.  I shouted, "thanks for the pull"! and we parted company.

The rest of the ride was very pleasant, I am still riding pretty slow.  My legs are generally tired from the P90X workouts all week.  Just trying to add to my base, and get the miles in, and enjoy the Spring.

The turtles are now out and crossing the roads.  I saw shoveler ducks, grebes, wood ducks, blue bills, and buffleheads in addition to the standard mallards and honkers.  I guess the northern ducks are still passing through the area. 

Live Life to the PLUS+

No comments:

Post a Comment